Things To Do
A stay at Barnsley House in the heart of the Cotswolds can be as action packed as you choose!
If you’re looking for a more unique or active way to while away the hours whilst at Barnsley, take a look at our ideas below. If you’ve got an idea of something a little different that you’d like to try while you are with us, that’s no problem! Just ask one of our team and we’ll organise it for you.
- Make the most of the clear mornings or long summer evenings with a hot air balloon ride complete with a glass of Champagne.
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll from the source of the Thames through some picturesque Cotswold villages, and take a Barnsley House picnic hamper with you to make a day of it! Walking maps are also available at reception.
- If golf is your thing, we can recommend some excellent golf courses locally, including a golf academy, driving range and practice greens.
- The beautiful Cotswolds are wonderful to explore on horseback, and the surrounding area is well known for its public bridleways and riding centres, so whether you’re an experienced rider or a novice, there is something for you!
- Our on-site tennis court is fully equipped for anything from a quick knockabout to a three-set match – simply let us know you’d like to play and we’ll provide you with the racquets and balls.
- Polo is played at Cirencester Park during weekends in the summer months. Gates open at 12:00 noon on Sundays and Bank Holidays. If you’d like to go, let us know and we can organise all the details.
- Explore the Cotswolds villages and countryside on two wheels! We have four bicycles available free of charge and more available for a small daily fee.
- For theatre-lovers of all ages and backgrounds, The Barn Theatre in Cirencester is the place to enjoy top-class regional theatre in The Cotswolds
- If you’re craving solitude, why not cast off your cares with a day’s fishing in the area’s private trout farms, lakes and rivers? Simply speak to reception regarding opening times and admission fees.
- For the more adventurous, try your hand at gliding for a unique perspective on the Cotswolds landscape.
- Challenge yourself with a clay pigeon shooting school in a stunning woodland setting offsite, where even the most experienced shot is provided with a challenging target! Tuition is available for beginners or practise for gun owners is available.
- Our guided walking tours will give you the advantage in exploring Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds, as we’ll equip you with experienced and knowledgeable guides who will take you on a journey of discovery through the area with all its history. Contact reception for more details.
- Tour the Cotswolds in style and at your own pace with your very own driver-guide! Michael Neilan, our Cotswolds Touring Driver-Guide, is very knowledgeable and comes highly recommended by many of Barnsley House’s guests.
- Foodworks Cookery School is am imaginatively created cookery school located in the heart of the Cotswolds. Set in the beautiful private Colesbourne Park Estate famous for its wonderful collection of stunning snowdrops. There’s a variety of courses available to suit all those budding chefs out there.
View our brochure
Enjoy a glimpse at all that Barnsley House has to offer.